Toronto Women's Alternate Thursdays
Virtual Drag Queens and Sangria with Bum Trail - Recipe
1 Bottle of Wine (red, white, green, rose or Champagne)
2 cups or 1 full can of Sprite (or Seven-up, lemony soda)
2 shots of sweet citric liquor (Triple Sec, Cointreau)
1 shot of a strong drink (vodka, rum, gin, tequila)
3 large Oranges
2 large Lemons
6 tbsp brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
A handful of fresh mint
2-3 inch pieces of fresh ginger
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup of water
Ice cubes to fill up your jar!
1 Cutting board
1 Chef's Knife
1 Juicer / Squeezer
1 Mortar / Pestle
1 Large jar (or a large bowl or large pot)
1 Steering spoon
Step 1: Sangria Syrup
1. Start by making your Sangria Syrup. On a small saucepan on medium-high heat, add 1 cup of water and the brown sugar, mix very well until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Now crush your cinnamon roughly on your mortar/pestle and add it to the syrup.
3. With your hands break the fresh mint with stalks included, when you have the leaves and stalks all shredded apart add them to the syrup.
4. Add the zest of 1 entire lemon using your grater.
5. Last but not least, peel your ginger roughly and slice it, add it to the saucepan.
6. Mix your 5 ingredients very well and bring it to a boil, when boiling reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 more minutes while mixing.
7. Set the syrup aside to chill, on a window or outside for example.
Step 2: The Fruits
1. Massage your lemons and oranges very well until they are softer.
2. Cut your oranges and lemons in half and squeeze all the juice with your juicer. Add the juices and the pulp to your large jar or a big pot
3. Press half of each citric against the cutting board and chop all the oranges and lemon peels into 1 to 2-inch pieces, add them to the jar.
4. Slice your apples with skin and add them to the jar
Step 3: The Liquids
1. Add your full bottle of wine or Champagne to the jar with the fruits and juices
2. Add the Sprite / Lemony Soda
3. Add the fruity Liquor and the Vodka
4. Last, add the syrup with all the ingredients into the jar and mix everything very very well
5. Mix in your ice inside the jar
Here is when you test your sangria if it's too Alcoholic for your taste, add more orange/lemon juice or Sprite, for example. If it's too sweet, add more vodka or the same type of wine into the jar, mix and taste it again. Add both until you find your perfect sangria! Don't forget that sangria is meant to be sweet, very cold and you shouldn't taste alcohol that much.
And a good tip is, keep your large pot/jar inside the fridge while you are drinking your sangria during your day. If it's over, you can simply add 3 ingredients to your fruits during 2 or maximum 3 days. Those ingredients will always be: WINE, SPRITE and SUGAR, then mix it very well, and the fruits will keep doing the magic ;) After 3 days the fruits will have no more flavor to give and start to rot soon.
Back to the Recipe Archive page